[Linux-Anyway] Re: crond

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:41:36 +0100

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:32:42 -0700 (PDT) scripsit Meph Istopheles:

>   I found that crond wasn't set to start at boot, so I'd added
> the line to rc.local (I hope this is the right syntax):
>
> /usr/sbin/cron -f

Why put the "-f" there since it makes crond run in the foreground rather
than as a daemon?

>   Does this just mean that it's taking the line from my crontab
> to ~not~ send me mail each time it starts?

crond shouldn't mail you anything unless a task in your crontab outputs
something on stdout or stderr. You can avoid that happening by appending
(without the quotes) " > /dev/null 2>&1" to all the commands you cronify.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)