[Linux-Anyway] Re: computer problems

  • From: "Mercy Design" <MercyDesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:22:15 -0400

>   Mercy,
>
> > I know this is a linux list, but may be someone can help me?
>
>   Not a problem;-).

Thanks :)

> > I don't know what the heck is going on with this POS
> > computer!!!!!!
>
> > I shut it off last night because we were having tornado
> > warnings & storms heading our way, and when I went to reboot
> > today, it gave me all kinds of trouble!
>
>   That can happen even after a minor storm.

Well, I turned it off before we had any lightning or thunder.  The storms
were in western Michigan, and i knew they were supposed to head this way, so
I turned it off before anything *bad* could happen , heh...

> > First, the memory test failed again, twice... then, it wanted
> > to load into safe mode, but, it a black screen came up that
> > said "While initializing device IOS windows protection error.
> > You need to restart your computer".
>
>   I've seen this, & yes, it may be memory.  But it may also be
> bios related.
>
>   You see, as I'm sure you know, a storm -- with or without a
> tornado -- is an electrical disturbance.  With wacko electrical
> fields flying all over, anything in your 'puter can be effected
> -- but that doesn't mean anything is permanently broken.

Yes, I know hon.  But, it's been acting up for a while now.  The memory test
has failed a few times this week and last... I don't know what the fudge is
happening.  Gr...

> > Any ideas?  Is it the memory?  It seems to me that it would
> > have to be my memory.  I know it can go bad, but why?  I've
> > only had this memory for a little over a year.  it shouldn't be
> > bad!
>
>   As I say, it might be a problem with memory, or it might be a
> glitch in the bios.  Also, there may be trouble you've not yet
> encountered on the hard drive.  Both the bios ~&~ the data on the
> hard drive is nothing ~but~ electro-magnetic fields, after all.

Ok, how can I tell if it's a glitch in the bios?  I think I can take the
memory cards up the street & have them tested, but not sure how to find out
if it's a bios glitch.

> > I'd like to reinstall linux, but i'm not going to until i find
> > out what's going on with this POS.  Why bother with it if my
> > computer's just going to crap out on me.
>   What I'd do under these circumstances is:
>
>  1. Rerun the Windows install.  You don't have to reformat the
> hard drive, just rerun the install, & Windows will overwrite all
> it's system files with new ones from the cd.  That will take care
> of any trouble there may be with any system file.
>  2. Run Scandisk & defragment the hard drive.
>  3. Assuming nothing ~odd~ happens (other than scandisk fixing

I will run a scandisk & defrag, of course, and I thought about doing a
reinstall of doze right on top of this... done it before.

> any error it might find), start the Linux install.
>
>   Personally, I've seen worse things happen & sometimes would go
> so far as to reformat before reinstalling, but that would be
> drastic for me.  I don't think you have that much to worry about,
> as 'puters can -- & often do -- do some pretty annoying things
> wihtout there being anything really ~wrong~.
>
>   Of course, the life span of any 'puter is a crap shoot.
>
>   Meph

I really don't want to put linux on here until I find out what's going on.
I'd hate to put all that time & effort in just for this thing to crap out.

Going to look into pricing for a whole new system, minus tower & hard
drive... i desperately need a new processor and I believe i need a new
motherboard if i upgrade the processor as it's maxed out. *sigh*... Hope i
can find a good deal, if that's the road I decide to take.

Thanks for the help hon.

Mercy