[Linux-Anyway] Re: checking the md5sums of burn CD's

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:32:54 +0200

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:26:24 +0200
Godwin wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:04:49 +0100, John Richard Smith
> <bagsofchoice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Can someone remeind me how to check the md5sum of an iso burnt to
> > CD.
> >
> > I seem to remember ,
> > one has to know the size of the iso file then device by 1024 to
> > calculate the number of sectors,
> > then what comes after that  ?
> >
> > my device is /dev/scd0
>
> Almost. Divide the size of the ISO image by 2048 to get the number of
> sectors.

Wait a minute. Your CD-writing howto advises to divide the size by 2.
I've been doing that all the time, and it always worked. But I guess
that dd would read as long as there's data, so the too large a number
from x/2 division probably is no problem.

Apropos: is specifying the bs=x and count=x parameters necessary at all?
What would happen if there's nothing but if= and of=?

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714