[Linux-Anyway] Re: Update: A /dev question

  • From: Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:42:42 -0800 (PST)

   Never got this one either:

> > Hey, I just had an idea -- well, for my own X problem,
> > anyway. Is there a generic XFree86(-4) or xorg.config I might
> > be able to try to see if I can at least open X?  Then I can
> > enter more specifics & keep going till it's (essentially) as
> > my current. Only, I hope, without whatever causing X not to
> > start.

> A generic xorg.config probably wouldn't work - it could only be
> a template, with hardly a useable config.

> I've adopted a dirty trick: since I always have a knoppix cd on
> me, I just shove it in, mount the partition where /etc is
> located read-write, and then copy the XFconfig from knoppix'
> /etc to, say, /mnt/hda5/etc/X11. I then restart the machine
> with the installed system, and X usually works right away. The
> knoppix-configured XFconfig is usually a bit on the
> conservative side regarding the possible resolution and refresh
> rate, so you can tune it up a bit. It does DDC probing, so the
> refresh rates it specifies are trustworthy.

   Hmm.  I like it.  I could copy my existing xorg.config & try
the different settings from that in the file from knoppix till I
get it right.  I like it.  That'll save me having to
reinstall:-).

--
   In Columbia, Pennsylvania, it is against the law for a pilot to
   tickle a female flying student under her chin with a feather