[Linux-Anyway] Re: Slow X

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:50:17 +0100

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:02:39 -0700 (PDT) scripsit Meph Istopheles:

>   Oh, my video card's an ATI Radeon 9500 with 64MB RAM.

In that case how do you explain this:

> Identifier  "Card0"
> Driver      "nv"
> VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> BoardName   "NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro]"

Does the Radeon 9500 really use an NVidia chip rather than an ATI Radeon
chip? I suspect you're loading the wrong driver, X is seeing the
incompatibility and falling back on a standard VESA-compatible server. A
peek into your /var/log/XFree86.0.log could be revealing.

Surely you should have:

Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "radeon"
VendorName  "ATI"
BoardName   "Radeon 9500"

BTW, I just saw that you'd already done the LoadModule thingy on glx, dri
and freetype, but you didn't add the Section "DRI" bit. This is what makes
HW acceleration available to all users rather than just root.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)