[linux-anyway] Scott - mac/linux stuff

  • From: "Mercy Design" <MercyDesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Linux anyway" <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:05:07 -0400

Hey Scott.

here's what Gene says about your mac/linux issues:

------- start --------

Gentoo is VERY relevant.  i have it running on a dual-processor Pentium Pro.
you basically build everything from scratch with it.  you decide the packages
you want to install, Gentoo resolves any dependencies and you compile it all
from the ground up.  unfortunately i've found that in reality Gentoo doesn't
resolve all of the dependencies.  your friend might want to try this on a
standard distro rather than Gentoo...at least until he's more familiar with
how CUPS, netatalk and samba are configured and operate with each other.

Mac OS-X is a complete unknown to me.  i'm running OS 8 and OS 9 on the two
Power PC's i have.  i know there's been quite a few changes made in OS-X so
that could definitely be causing some of his head aches.  i'd be willing to
bet the farm that the Airport card / Linksys combo is also a bottle neck.
(as a side note, i don't care for wireless...MUCH too easy to "break into"
and it's still flakey.  just a personal opinion and not a statement of fact.
hehe)  i'm going to be suprised if the airport card handles multicasting
properly, btw.  i know it *claims* to but that's their advertising copy and
we know all about those kinds of claims.  hehe

tell him he can set up the printing right now with samba.  it'll take a little
fiddling but not as much as CUPS.  btw, i'd also say to stick with LPR
printing.  it's a lot less complicated and does just as good a job.  i'm not
saying he's doing this, but a lot of people feel that the latest and greatest
is a must have.  what they don't stop and think about is the fact that
there's still a LOT of bugs in the latest of any software.  keep it simple
and you'll not have the grey hair like i do.  hehe

i know this probably hasn't been a lot of help sweetie but i'm going brain
dead.  (thank god i'm not driving tomorrow...i'm riding with a buddy.)
anyway, i have to say goodnight for now and i'll answer you tomorrow night.

well hon, I hope this helps.  I hope you take no offence to any of it either
lol.  he's a nice guy and means no harm and is always happy to help.

he's leaving for a business trip tomorrow, so if this doesn't help, i can't ask
him any more questions for a while.

I sure do hope this helps though Scott.  You were so helpful to me when I
needed it, i'd like to repay you, even if it's not really my advice lol.

Mercy