[Linux-Anyway] Re: Remount r+w

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 21:01:58 +0200

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:59:24 -0700, "Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>   So, till I get work & buy a usb port, is there a way to either
> make "mount --bind drivea driveb" come up r+w, or something else, to make
> it happen?

Your best bet is to start unmounting before unplugging. You don't know what
state the device is in if you just yank it out the socket before cleaning
up (unmounting does a certain amount of cleaning up before effectively
unmounting).

The second avenue you should research is running "sync" before pulling the
device out of the USB socket. That performs part of the cleanup done by
unmounting but not all of it.

Pulling not-yet-unmounted devices out of the system is a Bad Thing(tm). Not
for nothing are many SCSI devices physically locked until you unmount them
via the O/S.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx

Spotted in a toilet of a London office:
TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW.