[Linux-Anyway] Re: Procmailrc thing

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:20:47 +0100

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:13:45 -0800 (PST), Meph Istopheles <Meph@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>    OK.  Also, are the square brackets what I'd suggested, as with
> most lists, or are they only what you'd used?  I'd hate to put
> them in if, for some idiot reason, they're actually commands;-).

No, they're what you suggested. They're in double quotes so they can only be
literals.

>    Curious:  While procmailrc will only send what I tell it to, in
> this case things from the pine mailing list (which, actually,
> will have to be in the To line, as the list is set to put the
> actual sender in the From line), everything I see in formail
> relates to the From.  Will there be any conflict as each would
> have a different person in the From line?

If you're attempting to deal with mailing list traffic you might find it
easier and more reliable to try and identify it using a different header.
Take a look at this mail when you get it, for example. You'll see an
traffic. In fact, that's the mechanism I use to divert traffic from this
list to the shitcan^W^W its own folder in my mailer :)

Take a closer look at the headers of a mail from the pine mailing list. I'm
sure you'll find something to identify list traffic fairly accurately.

--
BOFH excuse #437:

crop circles in the corn shell