[Linux-Anyway] Re: New subject: Cheap but effective physicalsecurity

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

  Horror,

> You've talked about a solution today - move to Europe.

  Wow!  No crime in Europe?  Where's the boat?;-)

> Unless you set your mind on living in Palermo,

  Heh, no.  My brother got mugged there -- & he knew it was
coming back in the bar where he was before it happened.  Just
like him to make obvioux gestures when leaving -- like inviting
thieves by flashing a wad of bills & fumbling as he puts them in
his pocket.

> a Paris banlieue, Garvaghy road or something like it

  Might be like living in Brooklyn, but I've done that.

> you and your tech are quite secure. I know burglaries only from
> films.

  You should work for the tourism office;-).

> If I were concerned about burglars, I'd transfer the method to
> computers by stripping them of plastic and leaving the mere
> chassis.

  Hmm.  Yes, I rather like this idea.  Wonder what effect it
would have on cooling....

> About monitors I don't know - I wouldn't like to have a thing
> that produces charges in tens of thousands volts standing about
> naked on my desk. Perhaps taking the back cover off, putting it
> back together so it doesn't fit and using velcro tape to hold
> it together would work?

  This is a possibility.  Though I was thinking of putting a hasp
on it & running a cable to either another hasp attached to my
desk or sunk into the concrete floor (on the ground floor of an
apartment with carpet on concrete).  Gotta think about that
though.  Still, I'd have to removed the cover & fiddle round &
drill into the frame -- while the tube is sticking out like a
big, fat errection, just waiting to "make a mess".  Natually, I'd
be dead too.  Hmmm.

--
  "You eat enough meat, you want to kill somebody. That's
  the way it works!!"