[Linux-Anyway] Re: Executing graphical apps through cron

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:06:48 +0100

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:27:10 +0100, Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem: cron (vixie-cron, that is) seems incapable of spawning an
> xterm.

It could be X preventing this from happening.

What's the output of this command?:

$ xhost

If you don't have "LOCAL:" in there then run:

$ xhost +local:

Secondly, should I assume you set the permissions on alarm.pl correctly?
(*with* the executable flag set...)

If running xhost fixes the problem you might want to add "xhost +local:" to
your xinit script just before the invocation of your WM. In my case, the end
of my ~/.xinitrc (on FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE) looks like this:

$ tail -n 6 ~/.xinitrc

xscreensaver -no-splash &
/usr/home/godwin/bin/xnumlock
xhost +local: