[Linux-Anyway] Copying audio CD's the most accurately

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:44:41 +0200

Ok, another one:

I've just tried this: I ripped an entire CD into one single file with
something like this:
cdparanoia -d /dev/hdd 1-21 quattro_staggioni.wav
Am I right to assume that if I burn that to a CD, I'll get a single
audio track?

The problem is this: the Zeppelin CD I burned yesterday works fine, with
one small exception: the band is fond of overlapping their songs, which
I forgot. cdrecord inserts a gap between the tracks, so there's now an
interruption. I know there's a flag to instruct cdrecord not to put in
gaps, but how the hell is one to know when that is necessary? What is
right for Zeppelin, is in most cases wrong for Jethro Tull, and
certainly wrong for Beethoven.

What I'm looking for is a way to replicate a CD most accurately. I used
CloneCD for this on Windows and it worked pretty well (at least I
couldn't tell the difference), so I guess if there's a limitation for
this, it lies in GNU/Linux tools and not in the CD standards (but you
people know best how often I've been wrong, so...)

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714