[lifesaviors] Thanks, Uwe, for the ideas

  • From: "Lion Kuntz" <lionkuntz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lifesaviors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:00:51 -0800

Thank Uwe,

The comments of water leaking in the patio doors reminded me that in Florida
horizontal rain during hurricanes causes a lot of damage from indoor flooding.

I think a drain near the door is called for, to remove water before it
accumulates. The doors would be under the solar panels acting as awnings, but
that is not much protection.

Recessingg the doors not only adds more protection from driven rain, but would
increase the possible window area for additional light penetration.

On the subject of supercapacitors, I looked it up and I don't feel the state of
the art is ready. But in the process of looking at various energy webpages, I
was reminded of an alternative storage technology.

I usually disdain flywheels because designers keep trying to add them to cars.
But flywheels in a fixed setting makes a lot of sense for evening out power
loads over the whole day.

With a PV direct current powered motor driving the flywheel mounted on one
side, an AC generator could be mounted on the other. This becomes a DC-to-AC
converter. With a long driveshaft it could be coupled to a gas fueled turbine
as well.

I had a somewhat sleepless night trying to remember everything I ever knew
about elecric power distribution. I am starting to think that Palace-scale
self-sufficiency might not be cost effective. Sending PV power to the grid, and
drawing from the grid at non-generating hours, just simplifies matters so much.

The whole PV power generation thing is hopefully based upon PV breeders
bringing the PV panels cost down. Is anybody onboard for discussion about PV
breeders? If some overlooked fatal flaw exists in that scenario, it very much
affects the costs of PV in Palaces. At about 4 kilowatts peak power for each
residential unit (based on 118 units), at $1/watt that adds $4,000 per unit.

Current retail costs are closer to $4/watt, or $16,000 per unit. The fewer
units, the less wage-earners to share payment for the system installation.
These prices represent PV panel costs, not including BOS (Balance Of System)
installed operating costs.

Any comments?

...lk

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup