[liblouis-liblouisxml] mtable with inferred mtd

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:26:15 +0000

Hello,
There was a bug where liblouisutdml was inserting additional text other than the actual translation into a brl node.

Brandon noticed a particular mtr element which was causing this. It turns out that the problem with that mtr element was that it only contained one mtd element where as others had two mtd elements.

According to the MathML specification this is perfectly legal and what the software should do is infer empty mtd elements to the right of the explicitly given mtd element on that row, so that the explicit and inferred mtd elements equals the number of columns in the table.

It appears LibLouisUTDML is not obeying this part of the specification.

My main question is how we want to go about solving this, should it be fixed in LibLouisUTDML or should applications correct this in the XML they give to LibLouisUTDML?

I would say that it would be more correct that LibLouisUTDML deals with this. However it probably is simpler todeal with in other applications with higher level languages like Java.

Also there is a second question relating to this, how should LibLouisUTDML deal with mtd elements with rowspan and columnspan attributes which are greater than 1? Is there currently any feature of LibLouisUTDML which can deal with rowspan or columnspan?

It probably is worth trying to fix rowspan and columnspan at the same time as fixing inferring mtd elements, unless its deemed that rowspan and columnspan are lower priority.

Michael Whapples