[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: liblouis web site

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:09:00 +0000

Yes it looks good to me.

There was one interesting thing written that raises a question, but I will start a new thread for that as it more relates to where the projects go.

Michael Whapples
On 07/03/2014 08:57, Christian Egli wrote:
Hi Mesar and Michael

Your posts are very timely as the new site is basically finished. I'm very happy with it and I think it is really cool. Look at http://liblouis.github.io

It is 100% static and can be edited off-line with any editor you wish. All the content is in plain text (textile but you can also use markdown). Naturally you can use images, tables, etc (but all in plain text). It includes the news, on-line documentation, the tar balls and a section with links to the various code repos, issue trackers and related projects. So for example to upload a new release just add a file with the news entry, add the tar ball and update the downloads page (all locally). Then commit and push. That's it. Github has some post-commit hooks that will generate the HTML from the plain text, update the site and serve it. Brilliant!

The great thing is that this is a web site for both liblouis and liblouisutdml with links to BrailleBlaster. It is entirely static, so if Github ever decides to drop support for Github Pages it's easy to move away, so we are in no way locked in.

Also it is done using the Twitter Bootstrap CSS, so it should look good on a desktop, tablet or phone.

We could in theory also redirect our domain liblouis.org to this site, which would probably wise from a security point of view, but this is optional.

On 03/06/2014 04:34 PM, Mesar Hameed wrote:
Will the website that you create enable us to do accessable bug
tracking?

No bug tracking is not included. The site is entirely static. There are links to the existing bug trackers.

What were your reasons for not wishing to go with it?

I really like the idea of a generated static web site that I can edit locally.

This means that anyone that has commit access could help with updating/improving any
documentation that we might place on the website/ship with liblouis.

Anyone can fork the repo for https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis.github.io and improve it. If the stuff is good we'll give them commit access.