[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: [liblouis] r642 committed - Added version2 of runHarness, based on nose tests....

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:24:34 +0100

On Wed 23/05/12,12:41, Christian Egli wrote:
> I generally prefer stuff that is based on established standards.

I do believe that nose is one of the more common python frameworks, and as such
is quite standard.

> I thought with nose you have to write plain old unit tests, but with the
> harness we don't. We basically
> provide test fixtures in the form of json.

Nose is more flexible than unittests, and the major advantage over unittests is
that it allows for test generators
Both with v1 and v2, json is being used to provide the data, but with v2 we
dont have to do any counting, and it takes care of reporting.

I thought the reason why you didnt like the runHarness.py (v1) was that it
didn't fit in with any existing infrastructure.

In not the too distant future I would be intrested in seeing tests for
liblouisutdml, and following a commonly used test infrastructure might
help us in getting this up and going.

> Also it is another dependency. I don't know if we can expect our table
> developers to have nose installed.

Valid point, but everything has its advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks.
Mesar