[liblouis-liblouisxml] lastworditalbefore and italsign

  • From: Bert Frees <bert.frees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 15:58:02 +0100

Hi all,

I've been trying to improve the British Braille rules for italics. From the documentation I got from Paul Wood, I learned that the British table should contain the following entries:

italsign 46
firstwordital 46-46
lastworditalafter 46-3 <= problem!
lenitalphrase 4
firstletterital 46-2
lastletterital 46-3

But there is one problem: For some reason, in liblouis, the opcodes |lastworditalbefore| and |italsign| are synonyms. It is the italic sign that is placed before each word in a sequence of 3 or less words, *and also* the italic sign that is placed before the last word in a sequence of more than 3 words. Moreover, you can't use |lastworditalbefore/italsign| and |lastworditalafter| in the braille table. So the line...

lastworditalafter 46-3

... is ignored. Is there a specific reason why |lastworditalbefore| and |italsign| are synonyms? For British, it would be better if these opcodes were split.

Regards

--
Bert Frees
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven