[liblouis-liblouisxml] [joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx: Liblouis: possibility of borrowing Korean table from BRLTTY and braille input handling]

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 01:09:44 -0500

Joseph Lee has just joined the list. From the forwarded message it looks
like he has some interesting ideas.

----- Forwarded message from Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx> -----

Subject: Liblouis: possibility of borrowing Korean table from BRLTTY and
braille input handling
From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:04:06 -0700
To: <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi John,
As a follow-up to Korean braille: Just spoke with Dave M, the maintainer of
BRLTTY. I told him that I saw Korean tables (both contracted and
uncontracted braille) in the Cygwin's BRLTTY installation directry, ans
asked if I can borrow that table to be used by NVDA/Liblouis. He replied yes
but asked that I contact you since there might be text processing
differences between BRLTTY and Liblouis. So I thought I'd ask you about any
concerns you may have (mostly in terms of technical difficulties that I may
face) when porting BRLTTY table to liblouis, specifically Korean tables (I
have received requests from Korean users of NVDA to include Korean braille
table in future version of NVDA).
Also, I'm interested in helping with braille input processing from braille
displays with braille and/or QWERTY keyboard such as Braille Sense, Focus
series and BrailleNote (BRLTTY already has input processing facility from
what I heard, while many use NVDA-based drivers, which goes through Liblouis
for braille output). If there are enough interests, I'd be happy to help out
with braille input processing in Liblouis and/or create a separate
development branch for NVDA dealing with braille input.
Thanks for your considerations.
Cheers,
Joseph

----- End forwarded message -----