[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Stripping Carriage Returns

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 07:26:36 +1000

I do wonder whether these rules should be removed from the standard tables and split out into separate tables. Personally, I always prefer accuracy by default. Removing any characters automatically reduces accuracy in reproduction of the original material. This is particularly important for screen reader usage. Right now, to get true accuracy, we'd have to create our own tables to try to reverse these rules. It's easier to not specify something than it is to specify it and try to remove it later.

Jamie

On 19/05/2011 7:19 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
all the tables are set up to treat multiple whitespace, including tabs
and carriage returns as just one space. This is what almost everybody
wants. You can get around it partially by using a table list. Make a
small table with the whitespace character definitions you want, then
instead of a single table name use something like
whitespace.cti,en-us-g2.ctb However the tables also include the opcode
"repeated" to get rid of multiple spzces, long lines of dashes, long
lines of periods, etc. You would have to comment these out. Another way
to preserve at least carriage returns would be to give liblouis only one
line at a time.

John

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:06:19AM -0600,
Marc Mulcahy wrote:
Hi All:

Sorry if this should be obvious, but I can't figure out how to use liblouis to
translate text preserving whitespace such as carriage returns.  Is there a way
to do that?

MarcFor a description of the software, to download it and links to

James Teh
Vice President, Developer
NV Access Inc, ABN 61773362390
Email: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx