[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Shall we have new releases of liblouis and liblouisutdml on June 1?

  • From: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 21:02:51 -0400

Hey Michael, all.

On 05/16/2012 04:01 PM, Michael Whapples wrote:
> It might be useful to have the release, particularly with python3
> bindings being introduced, as Linux distributions probably will only
> package it (certainly more likely to package it) if a release has been
> made.

Agreed.

> JOANIE, when do you need this by, would a release as soon as 1 June help?

The sooner the better. But 1 June would be soon enough I think. Thanks
for asking!

As a related aside, I have started looking at it, but the Orca Python 3
conversion is slightly bigger, with more potential points of failure. I
need to get that work solid enough in order to properly focus on and
test the liblouis changes. That's why I've not yet commented further. Sorry!

Getting back to your original question: The situation is that I really
should not do a release of Orca -- even an unstable, early-in-the-cycle
release -- if Orca's dependencies do not have a corresponding release.
Once you do your release, we all can ping the distro packagers to
include it in their unstable repositories.

> As for you saying that the python bindings will be stable by then, as
> far as I am concerned, the work on the actual bindings is done unless
> bugs are reported, the only work now is to bring the tests to python3.

Yay! And thank you again very, very much!!

Take care.
--joanie