[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: New License Proposal

  • From: Eitan Isaacson <eitan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:59:01 -0800

Hi John Gardner.

I am an Orca developer and I have great interest in seeing liblouis
distributed side by side with Orca on a plethora of free platforms and
distributions. I don't personally have a great grasp of all the legal
matters at hand, but I know that license compatibility is an important
thing in the free software world, so I would advocate for any standard
Open Source license, I think most of them do a good job at protecting
both the creators and the users, and help keep the licensed software
free.

I recently sent out a mail to the Debian legal team to get their advice,
I believed I copied you on it. The entire thread could be found here:
http://www.nabble.com/Questions-about-liblouis-to15701903.html

Since the tables that are distributed today in liblouis are already GPL,
any derivative of those tables is guaranteed to be free.

Cheers,
        Eitan.