[liblouis-liblouisxml] Liblouis and java

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:00:52 +0100

Hello,
I have started working on some java bindings for liblouis. For this I am using JNA (java native access) http://jna.dev.java.net which is a bit like java's version of ctypes. At the moment I have managed to create the interface for mapping the C functions into java for the lou_version, lou_translate, lou_translateString, lou_backTranslate, lou_backTranslateString and lou_free functions. Once I have mapped the few remaining functions I intend to make a more java style API for liblouis which should take care of some of the issues with directly using this JNA mapping.

Some of the issues are:

* liblouis can be compiled for either 16-bit or 32-bit unicode (by default the source distribution will be 16-bit unicode unless someone specifically gives the option for 32-bit unicode but debian's package of liblouis is 32-bit unicode). My proposal is that 16-bit unicode will be the default for my bindings/API but users can configure a variable in a properties file to state otherwise (any suggestions where is considered best practice to expect this properties file to be). * Liblouis passes some information back by altering the content pointed to by some of the pointer parameters, this isn't really a java style of doing things (as far as I know) so I possibly will follow the calling style of the python bindings for this.

Any thoughts on the above? Anyone else planning or working on such a set of bindings?

I would hope once these are complete they could become part of the liblouis distribution, but for the mean time is it worth finding a home online for them so that people can see my work? My preference of version control system is mercurial.

Michael Whapples