[liblouis-liblouisxml] Indexing typeform tags

  • From: "Susan Jolly" <easjolly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:02:26 -0600

I've been trying to understand the indexing issue for typeform indicators. So far my understanding is that each character in the XML file is numbered sequentially. (This may ignore document formatting tags such as the paragraph tag.) One intent is to allow characters that represent print text contents to be associated with the corresponding braille translation. (I can't help pointing out that this is what I designed dotlessbraille to do.)

One issue is that XML files contain multi-character start and end tags to indicate the use of special typeforms. Looking at this from an OO perspective, it seems there are at least three different types: text contents characters, XML start tags, and XML end tags. It's certainly possible to create an indexed collection of multiple types of objects. Either type of tag could be a single object independently of how many characters comprise that tag.

Susan