[liblouis-liblouisxml] Format of hyphenation tables (.dic files)

  • From: Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 15:30:08 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to understand the hyphenation format, used in .dic files.  It seems this format is not documented anywhere yet (it seems to be a rather new feature at the time) and I couldn't find a satisfactory explanation (reading examples doesn't clarify what the format is, for me at least).

Could anyone direct me toward explicit documentation on this topic? Or else help me to figure it out?  I'm not quite familiar with the rule of hyphenation in English, so I picked up a more familiar .dic file (hph-fr-FR.dic) and tried to read it.  In it one can find things like:

.bai2se3main

Or

ô2ment.

I guess a piece of word stands on each line, with syllables separated by digits.  What these digits mean and what the period means, however, I cannot guess right away.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Vincent
For a description of the software, to download it and links to
project pages go to http://liblouis.org