[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Enhancing table handling

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:27:46 +0100

Hi Michael

very interesting discussion.

Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx> writes:

> In the longer term and thinking of when formatting is dealt with by
> something new, in a higher level language, may be more advanced
> choices can be done, what do we want to do?

Generally I have to say that I like the approach that the Braille
Modules in the DAISY Pipeline 2 take in that the source XML is handled
in XSLT (a language geared for that purpose) with callouts to the
formatter. So all the normalizing of the table (re row and colspan),
flipping or linearizing of it is done in XSLT. The XSLT doesn't know
anything about page dimensions, for that it has to query the formatter.
This will generally give you a much better story when it comes to
transforming the source xml. You could then also handle transcriber
hints as you call them. That way you can separate the task of preparing
a document from the task of formatting a document. This will enable you
to make best use of utdml without having to rewrite the whole thing.

HTH

SBS Leser, die neue Hoerbuch-App fuer iPhone und iPad. Mehr Infos unter
http://online.sbs.ch