[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Distributing Fonts

  • From: "vivien.guillet" <vivien.guillet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 10:54:55 +0200

Hi

For the Unicode braille table, you can get the free (gpl) LouisLouis.ttf Braille Font from the "Natbraille" project repository (software for french Braille conversion and back). It comes with a "Thermo" version (showing "empty dots").

Alternatively, the Natbraille repository includes a Braille font creation tool (called "natbraille-font") that outputs a truetype Braille font from any combination of Braille table, cells dimensions, spacing, and "empty dots" shown or not (written in java ; command line and gui version exists). Please tell me if you are interested in using it.

Vivien

On 20/08/2015 03:55, Susan Jolly wrote:

Unless a font happens to have an appropriate open source license you shouldn't
distribute it without permission. I don't know if there are any open source
braille fonts. And, of course, there is the problem of choosing one or more
mappings.

The simulated braille font named Simbraille is a Duxbury product and I don't
think they allow third party distrubution.

Sincerely, Susan JollyFor a description of the software, to download it and
links to
project pages go to http://liblouis.org
project pages go to http://liblouis.org