[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Croatian Grade 1 Braille table

  • From: "zvonimir stanecic, 9a5dsz" <zvonimirek222@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 14:08:01 +0200

hi to all,

croatian eight dots 8-bits table cannot be obsolete, because it’s a eight dot table for computer use..

There is no croatian unicode braillle table for eight dots

W dniu 30.06.2017 o 14:01, Arend Arends pisze:

Hi Chistian,

Zlatko contacted me for testing the Croatian table with our TactileView program.
I made some suggestions for improvement, but in the end because of my limited experience with some of the subtleties of the LibLouis system, we gave up on these further improvements and Zlatko sent his version of the Croatian table to LibLouis (this was accidentally two times the same file).

I will try to keep it simple. Some answers were given by Zlatko in a private mail, which I forward on his request.

With regard to your questions:

1. Zlatko: No. I create the table according to the Croatian Braille standard.

2. Zlatko: I tried to use chardefs tables of neighboring countries, but I encountered problems that I could not solve. Creating the Croatian chardefs table I got the desired result.

Arend: Unlike the name suggests, "chardefs.cti" is not a general file, but specific for en-us-g1.ctb (among others?).
There are many specific versions, inluding "en-ueb-chardefs.uti".
The main reason to have a separate version is probably that the Croatian table uses a different capsletter character (46), where en-us-g1.ctb uses 6.
Note. These are found in en-us-g1.ctb and hr-translation.cti, respectively.
The different capsletter uses will influence many characters, including the basic punctuation characters.
In addition many accented characters are defined in chardefs.cti, which interfere with the Croatian characters.

3. Zlatko: In existing digits6DotsPlusDot6.uti table number 2 write as dots-126. In Croatian Braille number 2 write with dots-34.
(Arend: dots 126 is used for "Lj")

4. Zlatko: Old Croatian table "hr.ctb" is based on computer 8-dots Braille.
Arend:
hr.ctb is an older 8 bit table without presigns, where hr-g1.ctb is a grade 1 table with presigns.
I suppose hr.ctb will become obsolete, but I leave it to Zlatko to come up with a definite answer.

Arend: In addition we tried to provide for a solution for the letter combinations DŽ, LJ and NJ, that in braille is written as a single character (on a Croatian keyboard nowadays it is written as two characters, with three combinations of upper case and lower case).
We did not come up with a good solution. A single character exists in the Unicode table (\x01c4-\x01c6, \x01c7-\xo1c9 and \x01ca-\x01cc)
that could be used by using the "correct" opcode.
This translates correctly, but gives a synchronization problem in our TactileView program.
A similar case is the Dutch character IJ (ij upper case), which is normally also written as two characters, but should be treated as a single uppercase.
I don't know at this moment whether that has been solved properly.

Best Regards,

Arend Arends

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht----- From: Christian Egli
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:57 AM
To: Zlatko Sobočan / TIFLO GLOBUS d.o.o.
Cc: List LibLouis
Subject: [liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Croatian Grade 1 Braille table

Hi Zlatko

"Zlatko Sobočan / TIFLO GLOBUS d.o.o." <zlatko.sobocan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

I create Croatian grade 1 Braille table. Please, can you embed it in the
LibLouis application? Thanks.

I have created a pull request with your new tables
(https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis/pull/374).

I also added a few questions that I have with regards to your new table:

1. Do you have a link to some specification documents?
2. Why is there a chardefs table? Is it so much different from any other chardefs table?
3. Why is there a digits table specific for Croatian? Couldn't we just
  use the existing digits6DotsPlusDot6.uti table?
4. What is the difference between this new table and the old one (based
  on BRLTTY)? Can we remove the old one?

Also you included two zip files. I just used the first one. I hope that
was right.

Please help with these questions, either here on the mailing list or
directly as a comment on the pull request.

For a description of the software, to download it and links to
project pages go to http://liblouis.org