[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: BrailleZephyr error on new machine

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Gray <mgray@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 07:16:20 -0700

Thanks,

I think we need to ask Michel to change the setting in the gradlew file to
compile using Java 1.6 which is common on many Macs where the user has not
upgraded. Is there a simple way to do this? We should remember that our end
users will not be compiling this program themselves and we need to insure that
when we release the final product that it will run in all the platforms.

Here are some other notes from my early user testings on MacOS and Windows:

1. The user need to be prompted to save a file should they choose quit or
closes the edit window with an unsaved document.

2. The New menu items does not work.

3. We need to be able to associate BRF and BrailleZephyr files with
BrailleZephyr such that when one double clicks on them they are opened in
BrailleZephyr.

4. On a Mac we need to figure out how to package the JAR files back into a
MacOS Application bundle, my efforts so far have not worked as they should and
have launching and quitting bugs. I will continue to look into this. I assume
that similar issue will be faced in Windows as well.

5. There seems to be an issue with the bell not ringing on the first line after
starting the program. If you backspace and try again it rings.

6. Starting the JAR file with java -jar -XstartOnFirstThread require the user
to switch out of the terminal and then back into BZ before the menus become
active.

The users all praised the bells for line and page.

That all for now

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Aug 18, 2015, at 12:42 AM, Michael Whapples (Redacted sender
"mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My feeling is that this may be due to building the JAR on a newer version of
Java than the one you are running it on.

I think when building javac can be passed an option to tell it what version
of bytecode to compile to should you want your build to work on earlier
versions of Java. The following documentation page may be useful, look at the
section for cross compiling
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javac.html. I
know that may be for the windows javac command, but it may be helpful in
guiding you to find the answer on the Mac.

The other, may be simpler solution would be to compile using the JDK of the
earliest Java version you want your JAR to work on, then you need not pass
any special options to javac.

Michael Whapples

On 18/08/2015 03:08, Greg Kearney wrote:
I took the MacOS BrailleZephyr JAR file to a new mac and ruan into the
following error running it any suggestions:

Last login: Mon Aug 17 19:02:21 on console
Tamaras-MBP:~ tkearney$ java -jar -XstartOnFirstThread
/Applications/BrailleZephyr.app/Contents/MacOS/BrailleZephyr-macosx-x86_64-0.1.jar
Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/aph/braillezephyr/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
Tamaras-MBP:~ tkearney$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4828a)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode)
Tamaras-MBP:~ tkearney$

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA