[LRflex] Re: seeking 19mm elmarits

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

Ahhhhhhhhhh that makes sense!

You would need the shutter durability of a 1D series body for your stop-action
animation type of work!
The body might also lend itself to the lock down/immovability needed between
frames.

I must admit that I was a bit confused about why 'elmarit' goodness was quite
so neccessary for 'wide' angle work on HD video in a 5Dmkii video. (YES!
spotting the necessary points of contrast, flare, and distortion control over
'lesser' lenses, but it did seem a bit excessive for 'low res' HD work to pop
many, many thousands of Dollars/Pounds/Euros on TEN 19mm elmarits - NEW EOS L
lenses could be had for similar funds!).

Your Stop Action Animation (if I remembered the term right) requires
exceptional lens qualities to cope with the optical challenges of your work. I
haven't done it per'se but transposing some Macro and Close Focus experiences
to the processes I've seen in documentaries of the practice tell me that
skimping on glass for shooting your frames would be 'Felony Stupid' (in my
humble opinion!).

Richard