[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V11 #283

  • From: "Peter Stevens" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "fritzj3@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:22:48 -0700

Good morning, Mr Young. From the "lurkers gallery" I say, "Nicely done, sir!" I
enjoyed the gas flare image greatly, and have often thought the same as you
when I've seen them venting in southern Louisiana. Thank you.

Best regards,
Peter Stevens

________________________________
From:     David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:50:59 -0700
Subject: [LRflex] Day into night.

I make the long drive between Grande Prairie, Alberta and our home several
times a year.

Each time, between GP and Grande Cache, I pass about a dozen gas plants.  They
"flare off" surplus gas (which always strikes me as a waste)  for various
technical reasons.  (Sorry, I'm not a gas expert.)

Usually, the flare pipes are off or, if on, flaring only small amounts of gas.

But I'd often thought what a dramatic image a large burn might be ... but only
if taken at night, for the flames are pathetic (as photo ops) by day.  But,
those few times I've seen large flare-offs at night, I'd be near the end of a
12 to 13 hour drive, and not really interested in stopping. Just in getting to
my destination.

As I drove home about a week ago, one of the plants, quite near the road, was
flaring large amounts of gas.  It was 9 o'clock in the morning with a very dark
sky, caused by a heavy rain storm. It looked like day had turned into night.

I stopped the car.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/D2N.html

Comments, criticism welcomed, as always.

David.

is active.