[LRFlex] Re: ... another dickie bird!

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:52:03 -0700

Earlier today I offered:

> It's a male, Cassin's Finch and can be seen at
>
> http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr and then click on "Featured Photo".

and Doug replied:

Very nice! Though I believe Purple FInch is more likely.

Thanks, Doug.

I too, thought at first that it was a Purple Finch. However, p.451 of the Sibley Guide shows both; and Cassin's Finch has a white spot below the eye, which the more common Purple Finch does not. Otherwise, it's hard to tell!

Anyway, the 'dickie bird' in my photo has the white spot, so I'm sticking with Cassin's Finch ... at least for now!

Thanks for looking. :)

David.

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm