[LRflex] Re: Was a bunch of stuff, now Dark Desert Clothes

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:52:38 -0800

Aram offered:

>Sorry, I am behind in reading.  Maybe someone already said this.
>I read an article long ago about dark desert clothes.  It seems that the
>dark clothes absorb the light and get hot, and this heat cause the air
>inside the clothes, which are loose fitting robes, to get and hot and rise.
>This draws in cooler air underneath and creates a sort of air conditioning
>system - convective cooling.  Of course it does not work with a black three
>piece suit.

Hi Aram!

Now that's the best (and the only good) explanation for black robes
in the desert that I've seen!

Unfortunately, black also radiates the heat better, which is what
causes the M8's "magenta twist" - especially with synthetic fabrics.

Does your science wizardry extend to explaining why synthetic fabrics
would cause more problems than, say, cotton or wool?