[LRflex] Was: Air Time - Now: Filters.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 08:59:36 -0700

Richard in Michigan wrote:

>>"Superb catch David!
>>I like it very much.
>>Miha
>>p.s. did you get the Sigma UV filters you were inquiring about some time
>>ago? I believe they were meant for situations like this one;-)"
>

>Ummm....
><<< Dave walks into camera store >>>
>"Yes, may I help you?" a clerk inquires.
>"I was wondering which UV filter I should get to stop a Horse
>kicking in the front of my lens?" Dave asks eagerly.
><<<If the clerk is a good one, he says whichever one is the most expensive!>>>
>
>Sigh... maybe it's only me who sees the humor. At least it made me
>smile inside.

Glad we've lightened your day, Richard!  However, you humour is not
far from the mark.  A couple of years ago, before you were a  valued
member of this august group,  I managed to destroy the front element
of my 12~60mm Oly lens, simply because I'd not yet purchased a UV
filter for my then new lens.

You see, I was in a bucking chute, crouched down, just 3 meters (10
feet) or so, from one of the barrels, when a barrel racer came by.
Her horse threw up a cloud of stones.  I ducked, but the camera
apparently forgot to.  The result was a stone chip, similar to that
you get in a car windscreen, dead center in the glass.

The result was quite visible in many photos.  The good part was that
Olympus fixed it (a new front element was required) at a reasonable
price and, more importantly, did it in under 24hrs.  Thus, my lens
was gone just 8 days, including postage, both ways, to Toronto and
back. For that quality of service, they'll get me back, as an Oly customer!

These days, I keep the filters on my lenses, when doing such work!

Cheers!

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, BC,  Canada

Wildlife & Sports: www.furnfeather.net