[LRflex] Titanium M Revulsion (was Re: No R solution)

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:41:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steve and Everyone,
    I read an interesting comment somewhere in my web wanderings yesterday
which
may help soften this M9 Titanium 'Revulsion' (?) people are expressing. There
is
a 70 year tradition of Special Editions and Commemorative 'Cameras' at Leica.
Yes, the current one is 22 bleeping thousand dollars but -and I consider it a
very big but- this 'special edition' isn't just some stock production equipment
pulled aside to get covered in Gecko Skins and Geico Logos! (hyperbole
intended). For all intents and purposes Leica has gotten very rich folks to pay
for their prototypes and concept testing. There are genuine technological
shifts
inside the Rangefinder Cover of the M9T and Leica is exploring shifts in body
shape and ergonomics. The Leica Retail Chain will gross 10 million bucks doing
so - the company makes a bunch of headlines for prices.  Bully for Leica! They
are maxed out attempting to get products to the retail chain - incremental
profits are going to be a bitch.
   If Leica can pad the bottom line getting folks to buy their 'Beta' products
&/or subsidize Leica designing the M10. Where is the mistake there? They appear
to be hamstrung on unit volume for making more money and the Euro (iirc) has
shaved signifigant value with the Greek Crisis: great for German Industry which
can easily ramp volume up to take advantage, Leica can't. Nobody here paid 22k
for the M9T and we didn't subsidize it's design, but Leica users et al might
benefit from what's going on inside the camera and the testing of it. Relax
folks. It's not like they're Cruella De'Ville killing puppies to make the damn
thing - rich people throwing money at Leica doesn't hurt you.

Chill-lax. :-)

Richard in Michigan

[---Insert Irony Here---]