[LRflex] Re: Ted Grant's REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS book and DVD with addendum.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 07:01:44 -0700

At 5/8/2009, you wrote:
David,

I looked at the first 15 pages electronically...will I ever shoot B&W like that! :{ Intro also intrigued me equally. Ordered the book right away. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

I am finding this forum very useful as well as congenially friendly. The snipping found in some other forums is pleasingly completely absent.

Recently, Doug Herr recommended I buy a Leica Vario-Elmar-R 4/80-200M vice the much more expensive Vario-Apo-Emarit-R 2.8/70-180mm. I took his advice and bought the former for $1,000 from eBay bestseller store in Hong Kong. Got my first pictures back (Ektar 100) today and the outside spring colors were stunning. More importantly, the lens indeed appears to be Mint internally as well as externally.

Point is I am profiting both financially and hopefully eventually artistically. Wife and I live in Stuttgart, Germany and we're driving to Prague today, which is a photographers dream for architecture, etc.

Thanks to all,

Kevin

Good Mornin' Kevin...

It was not just Doug who recommended the 80~200/4 Vario. ;-)

I got hooked when, some years ago, I'd been musing, on this list, about buying one. A few evenings later, our own Dr. Ted, and his lovely wife - Irene, arrived at our home, for dinner. At the door, Ted reached into his pocket, pulled out his Vario and handed it to me, saying "Try it for a few days..."!

I was stunned, but after that, there was no going back!

I was lucky, for I managed to find one of the very rare 3-cam versions (only a few hundred were made), so that I could use it on my SL, as well the R8 I had, at that time. But the ROM version is plentiful and quite reasonably priced.

It is a wonderful lens ... sharp as a tack. The 70~180/2.8 is faster, but from the photos it is impossible for me to tell the shots of one, from shots of the other. And the /4 is so much easier to handle and pack around! It is one of the highest performing, most under-rated lenses in the Leica arsenal.

I hope you like the book. I've just got notice that my copy has been shipped and I'm very much looking forward to reading it. Consider getting the DVD of his documentary, as well... it's worth every penny.

Well, I've rambled on, enough.  Welcome to the group!

Cheers!

David.
---
David Young