[LRflex] Re: Technical question

  • From: Walter Kramer <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:55:26 +1100

I'll try this post again as the format seems all over the place when I send
from my provider's website email program.

Thanks Everyone,

That clears it up for me.  I think it was Richard who asked about the lens.

The lens is a Konica 57mm f/1.2 made for their Autoreflex SLR system. It's a
good lens wide open and quite sharp however it has a few faults which are not
really problems on a digital camera.

1.) It does contribute a yellowish tinge to the colour which is easily fixed in
post processing.

2.) on the original Konica mount the lens will create oblong or oval shaped
bokeh dots rather than perfect circles when used = wide open.  I believe this
is because the physical width of the l= ens overshoots the mount width by a
small degree.  Again this is not visible on digital due to the crop as you can
see in the images linked below.

The first two are shot wide open at night, street lighting.  The picture of the
woman is slightly off focus and is operator error rather than the lens.  The
other two are shot during the day  probably at f/= 5.6.

57mm at f/1.2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/3892415300/sizes/l/

57mm at f/1.2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4371905361/sizes/l/

57mm at f/5.6 probably
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4359226018/sizes/l/

57mm at f/5.6 probably
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/3940899954/sizes/l/

Other Konica SLR Lenses I like and use on my G1 are

40mm F/1.8
50MM F/1.4
50mm F/1.7
85mm F/1.8 Good portrait lens, great out of focus areas. eg.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4331694383/sizes/l/
135mm F/3.2
135mm F/2.5 Not so sharp wide open but very pleasing nonetheless. eg,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/4289629049/sizes/l/

The best information I have ever found on the Konica SLR system is at
http://www.buhla.de/index.html

As for the M mount Konica lenses all accounts I have ever come across about
these put them on a par with their Leica equivalents.

Richard Ward wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>    I can offer an excellent educated guess as to the source of your
> 'Chromatic Abberation". I am pretty confident -absent using your lens &
> camera myself- is what you are seeing is NOT Chromatic Abberation from the
> lens per se, but is instead 'Blooming' on the sensor itself. The appearance
> of it is visually similar, though. The clue to my answer is the 'visual
> defect' being quite limited at iso 400 and pretty dramatic at iso 800. The
> 'sensors' in digital cameras achieve their varying ISO's by amplyfing the
> signals coming out of the sensor by the striking of light upon it (a
> simplified description). The lights in the parking garage were overexposed
> areas in both the 400 & 800iso shots and detailess blobs of white, but at
> 800iso the amplifiers erroneously picked up color signals blooming off the
> edges of the overexposed areas and gave them an inappropriate color fringe
> around the edges.
>    This behavior of digital sensors in strongly over exposed areas,
> especially at higher iso's, is probably the ONLY complaint I have with
> sensors versus film. Friday at a Lighthouse I tried the sun in a shot and ALL
> I got was a glowing glob of white much different than the same composition
> from years ago on film. It's the nature of the beast. The physics of the
> technology make the old habit of exposing for the shadows  a risky
> proposition if one doesn't monitor where the highlights went on the
> histogram.
>
> If someone has more or better info to give, please pipe in. I 'could' have
> punted the question having never used a G1 or the lens in question - Don't
> think I did, but readily acknowledge it's possible. :-)
>
> Richard in Michigan--

Walter Krämer
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx