[LRFlex] Re: Spitfire + Hurricane "Neat Image " processing comparison

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:19:49 +0100

Hello Gary,
I told the story when I first posted this shot. We were off on a long hike to a local pub for lunch,
the weather was pretty lousy and I had nothing but a no-name point and shoot with me, on top of that it was loaded
with an at least two year old (it had been in the camera that long) ASA 400 film. Walking along the cliff path near
Whitby we heard a droning and these two shot past us about 50 meters away, just above eye-level, over the sea.
It's a pity that the rarity of the shot is so much better than the quality, if I had known they were coming I'd
have had the trusty M6 with the 2.8/135 Tele-Elmarit or the 2.0/90 on it, that's what I usually use for plane shots.
Both set-ups perfect for shots like this because you can see the planes flying into the frame. I was surprised that the old thing I used was able to at least get a halfways good exposure for this frame.
The spotty sky was what NeatImage really cleaned up, and what I found surprisingly good, I'm sorry Peter, you managed to get the planes sharper than I did but IMO the sky is all screwed up for my tastes, thanks anyway, it's always interesting to see how others here on the list would tackle a problem. Anyone else game for a try, If so you're welcome to mail me offlist and I can send you the original jpeg.
cheers
Douglas

Gary Todoroff schrieb:

Peter - why not try what you just did on just the airplanes? Use the magic
wand to select the sky and clouds, then "Select, Inverse" to get just the
planes. Now do your procedure on just the selection (the planes) in order to
avoid all the clumpy looking grain in the sky.

Best procedure for Douglas would be to have used the Leica for what it's
best at already - shoot it *wide open* at the fastest shutter speed and
avoid blur in the first place. No need for depth of field in such a photo,
so always go wide open - that's what we spend the big bucks for! I could
spend a lot less money for just about anybody's glass these days at f8. It's
f2 that I'm willing to pay for!

Gary

Gary Todoroff
Datamaster Designs