[LRflex] Re: Sparrows

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:04:34 -0800

The Birdman showed:

>Realizing I had very few good photos of the birds literally in my back
>yard, I spent a few hours last weekend sitting by my feeding station.  Five
>species of sparrows (family Emberizidae) visited:
>
>Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon form:
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/doju03.html
>
>Spotted Towhee, formerly thought to be conspecific with the Eastern Towhee:
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/spto05.html
>
>White-crowned Sparrow:
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/wcsp05.html
>
>Golden-crowned Sparrow:
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/bpy2010/L1260316.html
>
>California Towhee:
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/bpy2010/L1260286.html

HI Doug!

These little guys are, indeed, tough to get!

Of these (all good) I think the Spotted Towhee is the best.

>My previous attempts at photographing these backyard birds involved a blind
>with unsatisfactory results, so this time I simply sat quietly and waited
>for the birds to learn that I wasn't about to eat them.

As I think you've discovered, blinds can be limiting. I use your "sit
quiet" method for all my wildlife shots ... and found it very
satisfactory.  Of course, where I live, sitting quiet for long
periods is a very poor idea - at least at this time of year!

Nicely done!
---
David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.