[LRflex] Satisfaction.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:20:57 -0700

Back in 2001 I traveled to Thailand, and while there, managed to drop my R5,
compressing it's mirror box.  The camera was a write-off.

Traditionally, my many Leica repairs (at least, in Canada) have typically taken
3 to 4 months, at costs I'd rather not contemplate.   One repair (a 90
Summicron-R) took over 8 months.

Recently, I noticed that my Olympus E3 was working perfectly, EXCEPT that the
screen did not line up with the sensor.  If I took a picture of someone, with
their head at the top of the finder and their feet at the bottom, the actual
image would show considerable space above their head, with their feet cut off,
somewhere below the knee.  (The camera, I'm sure, had received one too many
knocks!)

I posted my camera to Toronto - some 3,500km or 2,175 miles away -on March 4th.
I picked it up, at our local Post Office, yesterday afternoon..  That's just 14
days, including a 7,000 km (4,350mi.) road trip!  Turnaround time,  at Oly's
Toronto depot, was just 3 working days.  I'd have had the camera back sooner,
had those working days not been wrapped around a weekend.

Now, comes the kicker!  The problem, it turned out, was with the Mirror box
(see note re:Leica R5, above).  They "replaced the mirror box, front cover,
grips (x2), updated the firmware, tested & cleaned" the camera.  And they did
it for $162.31 - including return shipping & tax!

This is my third repair with Oly.  Two were my fault (this one and an earlier
stone chip in the front element of a lens, caused by a horse at a rodeo) and
thus, not warranty.  The one warranty repair was made to a camera which failed
on the very last day of an extended warranty.

In both the earlier cases, repairs were made within 24 hours, and the items
were not out of my hand for more than 8 days... so this was a lengthy repair.

In all cases, the camera & lens were returned to me in perfect shape and
spotless condition.

And people wonder why I no longer shoot with a Leica!

David.