[LRflex] Re: (SD14 with FD Mount)

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42:46 -0800 (PST)

Hello Joseph,
   there is a 'New' Sigma out there called the SD-15 (?) which -according to
reliable reports- is much, much speedier than the -14 predecessor. The 'sensor'
itself is supposedly little changed but all the electronics, cpu's, and etc
have
been very much improved. Won't be mistaken for a Canon 1D/Nikon D3, but very
improved - also the image processing software bundled with the camera is
supposed to have been seriously rewritten and works much much faster as well.
Popular Photography seriously 'dinged' the camera for not being able to shoot
black cats in coal mines at iso50billion (hyperbole alert!), but did give it
'props' for noticably speeding up the user experience.

To the best of my knowledge... these sigma cum laude products / conversions are
SD-15 compatible due to being 'unbolting' of Sigma's metal lens mount flange &
swapping in their's. (your mileage may vary, could cause cancer, don't run with
scissors, blah blah blah)

"Street Price" on the SD-15 is $999US - give or take.
I'm actually seriously pondering one for SLR based IR Photography.

Note: There are some interesting web pages, web video's, and assorted
Advertising Department Propaganda to be found on Sigma's website regarding the
SD1.

dpReview has the press release up on their site & iirc links to Sigma's
Propaganda... oops Advertising Pages for the SD1 are included there in.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10092129sigmasd1.asp

I am a fellow who enjoys humor and utilizes it to keep the spirits up as I
negotiate a rough patch in my life, so please don't think I'm dismissive of the
SD1 or the potential for uber photographic goodies which lay within it's
announced specifications. Could be quite a breathtaking little breakthrough
piece o' kit. On the other hand, I am utterly dismissive of brochures & press
releases written by Ad Dept's and Legal Beagles! They universally turn out to
be
mishmashes of wrong, misleading, and just plain confusing,
terms-sentences-paragraphs. (Not to put to fine a point on it!)

Peace
Richard in Michigan

[---Insert Irony Here---]