[LRflex] Re: Rumour mongering...in Wetzlar's local rag

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 13:47:59 -0700

Douglas  wrote:

>The rumour is running around this neck of the woods too
>
><<German Langauge snip>>
>
>This was a short article in the local newspaper in Wetzlar on the
>14th of February - the gist of it is that Leica is "possibly" going
>to move back to Wetzlar from Solms.
>
>ACM, owners of 93% of Leica , are planning to make Leica the centre
>of an industrial park with several other companies. The city of
>Wetzlar is currently negotiating the sale of an 11,000 square metre
>site on which three Wetzlar companies are interested in settling.
>
>Interesting that the last bit doesn't mention whether Leica is one
>of the firms - and that these are Wetzlar companies.

The rumour, as I heard it, was that Leica's move, back to Wetzlar,
was a "done deal".  This is, of course, rumour.  However, the 11,000
sq. meter  size make more sense than the 117.000 square km site
mentioned by Flavio.

>Next rumour: Is someone planning to get the three Leica companies back=20
>under one roof?

Now, that, I've heard nothing about!  And, somehow, it does not seem likely.

The idea of a move makes sense, to me.  Leica is a product which
sells, to a great extent, on image.  And Wetzlar, for many decades,
was a major part of that image.  Whether they resurrect the Leitz
name, as well, is another area for interesting conjecture.

And ... yes, I know .. I should be out taking photos!  With what?