[LRflex] Re: Red-brick Gothic....shifting tides to Black Gondolas

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:18:30 -0700

Thanks Doug, for your compliments.  I enjoyed your Rollei 3003 photos
too, and hope to get back to Europe some time this year.  Was just in
London a week ago, for 3 days of meetings, then back to SFO!  Didn't
even pack a camera along.
Enjoying this Easter weekend so far, and wishing the same to all!
~ Eric

----------------------------------
Re: Red-brick Gothic....shifting tides to Black Gondolas

    * From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
    * To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    * Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:19:15 +0100

Hi Eric, so have I, in fact the Rolleinars are not bad lenses either
when used on my 20D, only the 4/80-200mm zoom tends towards fringes
around high contrast elements. I don't have all that many Zeiss lenses
for it because I don't see much point in duplicating the ones I've got
with Contax/Yashica mounts. You're right, it is an engineers dream -
and a very courageous step in leaving the well trodden paths of SLR
design. It should actually have revolutionised the market. The Venice
set is wonderful, particularly the Gondola reflections, which looks as
if it was painted by an abstract artist. And Dusk is one I would have
liked to have shot too.

Cheers
Douglas

LEICAFLEX wrote:

    Hi Douglas,
    Enjoyed your series too!  I'm a great fan of the Rolleiflex 3003 and
    CZ lenses.  In fact, I have a converter to use these CZ Rollei "QBM
    mount" lenses on the Canon DSLR.  My past experience with
    Velvia/Sensia/Ektachrome loaded onto the 3003 leads me to never want
    to sell my Rollei 3003 kit even though the convenience of digital
    erodes away on the "quality time" that I used to spend with this
    camera. As an engineer, I just love the modular design of this system.
    I've actually shot more with this 3003 system than any other SLR
    system.

    Allow me to share some pleasant memories with the list.  Here are
    examples taken in Venice in 1999 with a Rolleiflex 3003 camera and
    25mm Distagon lens:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331476658/in/set-72157594435520065

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485858/in/set-72157594435520065

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485681/in/set-72157594435520065

    and here are 2 taken with the 85mm 1.4 HFT Planar:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485723/in/set-72157594435520065

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecky/331485814/in/set-72157594435520065

    The monochromes were scanned from Tri-X neg.'s then tinted in Corel
    Photopaint.

    Cheers!
    Eric