[LRflex] Re: Real Photog shoot B&W, eat Hot dogs....

  • From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bille Xavier F." <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:57:59 -0700

In a message dated 25/04/2011, Bille Xavier F. said ...

> (Digilux + R 80-200/F4)
>
> And finally, Quiizz of the week, what is wrong with that picture, Grend Ma
and
> the Pup:
>
> http://xavierf.b.free.fr//Temp/Puppy/L1080600_dev.jpg

Good Morning, Xavier!

As to the problems with this image (remember, you did ask!) I'd suggest
that the reflections on the leaves are too bright, and would tone them
down, in PS or what-have-you, as per Ted's suggestion.

More importantly, since this is a posed photo, if at all possible, I'd have
moved Grandma & Pokey further away from the plantation... and adjust your
aperture so that depth-of-field would include both the dog (Pokey's eyes
are a bit soft) and Grandma, but not the plants.  Blurring out the
background would make both subjects stand out much better, in the shot.

The last point would be the shadows under Grandma's eyes, but short of
setting up reflectors, not much else could be done in generous sunshine.
Perhaps moving them to open shade.  or turning them so that you were
shooting  from the shadow side; might have helped.

Still, a nice family shot.

Cheers!
David.

--