[LRflex] R9 question

  • From: Scott McLeod <scott.s.mcleod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 06:48:58 +1000

Hello all,

This is my first post to this forum so I hope I get it right!

I recently had the opportunity to put a roll of film through a
brand-new R9 (it had literally never been shot before). It belongs to
my boss who bought it months ago without a lens (long story). He
finally decided to get a used 50/2 Summicron (Canada) for it and
instructed me to "go test it". Needless to say I didn't have to be
asked twice!

Anyway, the scans came out very nice indeed and I could find no
optical problems with the lens, but my boss is *extremely* picky and
he "didn't like the look of it" so he returned it and the R9 once
again rests in its milled-foam packaging in the bottom drawer of his
desk. What I did notice was something rather strange - I shot the
camera in A mode, and when changing aperture on the lens there was a
very noticeable delay in the VF display updating - it never actually
stuck, but it seemed sluggish in a way that I have never seen before
with any camera (including very old Minolta, Nikon and Canon SLRs; the
metering display in my M6 TTL resonds instantaneously to changes in
aperture). This particular lens, while optically fine, did have an
unexpectedly "industrial" feel to it (I can't think of a better way to
express it). It certainly did not have the silky, jewel-like precision
I was expecting from a Leica lens (or a Zeiss ZM for that matter). I
was wondering, is this normal behavior for the R9 in A mode, or is
this an anomaly? Everything else on the camera seemed to have a superb
precision feel. Maybe this lens had led a hard life and was not
behaving as it should, I dunno.

Sorry for the long post - any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Scott McLeod