[LRflex] Re: R Tele-Converters - Seeking Commentary

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:25:43 -0500 (EST)

Richard Ward wrote:

I am wondering about people's opinion of the Leica R 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters
that Leica produced. Are they good, bad, or middle of the road stuff?
<<<

I have little experience with the non-APO 2x extender, but the 1.4x APO and 2x
APO extenders are exceptionally good.  Using the 1.4x APO-Extender-R on the
280mm f/4 APO I see no difference in image quality.  Sharp, sharp sharp!!!

The 2x APO-Extender-R will soften the picture a tiny bit but most often it's
not enough to be noticeable.  You will have to be mindful of camera steadiness
because the extenders will cause a 1- or 2-stop loss of maximum aperture.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com