[LRflex] Re: OT rant: No wonder birders are wary of photographers!

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:30:00 -0800 (PST)

Ola Doug,
   I would like to second all of our's agreement with your distaste for what
you
learned about the immoral actions some photographers choose to engage in. What
occurs to me as I write this note is that I strongly suspect there exists
federal laws/regulations if not state and local ones regarding protection of
Migratory Birds and maybe even non-migrating ones, as well. Further, if Doug's
shooting in a state or national park, I'm almost certain such activities would
be illegal and if he's in a wildlife refuge I'd be definite they would be
illegal. Possibly he could photographically document their activities, persons,
&/or vehicles, and contact the appropriate authorities. However, based on an
extensive investigative article I read in 'Audobon'(?) on the horrifying havoc
'certain' owners of Raptors are wreaking upon migratory bird populations with
their 'possessions' - successfully prosecuting even egregious violators is
disturbingly difficult. I do think you attempting to document & refer to
authorities is the appropriate course of action, but realistic expectations
might be needed to avoid disappointment.
   To illustrate the challenges of the situation (somewhat) let me relate the
difficulties I've faced resolving Someone Acting In Wanton Disregard for HUMAN
Safety. I reside in a home in a suburban area and the woman who delivers the
daily newspaper uses a Chrysler MiniVan to drive the route. She never leaves
the
vehicle and routinely allows her adolescent sons to stand in the wells of the
open sliding doors and hang from the luggage rack as she zips along at speeds
up
to 40mph. Three conversations with police officers reporting it (followed by
them conversing with her) and calling the paper (who called her) have been
ineffectual. The weather has turned much, much colder with standing snow now,
so
with the severe windchill factor the boys will be safe until spring (at least I
hope). The officers say photographic evidence wouldn't be determinative without
an officer witnessing it etc etc. I am at loss at this point as to my next
actions. I have never interacted with this person other than to witness these
actions - I have no grudge or axe to grind - I don't know her from flippin'
Adam! I just desperately don't want to watch someone DIE outside my picture
window.
Sincerely hoping you might achieve better results should you attempt something.

Richard in Michigan

[---Insert Irony Here---]