[LRflex] Re: OT: Sigma SD1 availability update

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 14:54:45 -0400

>> On one hand, we credit the gear for making the image good...regardless of
>> photographer (almost)

Everyone is Right on their points about Price Points being much different for
professional studios and event photographers AND how 'Gear' equating to 'Great
Images' being the perpetual and universal marketing myth we all live in the
shadow of on this planet.

However, the intent of my questions pointing toward both the reality and
perception of Sigma's Lens Line-Up is that those lenses 'as a group' are likely
to be an "Anti-Halo" for selling a Ten Thousand Dollar Camera.
- Leica has a perception and reality of great lenses to help sell Digital M's
and S2's.
Hasselblad has the same leg up for selling Digital 'Blads.
- Sigma has got a 'costs less' / 'good enough' rep for their lenses -
irregardless of how optically good some of them might be.
- Plus the SD1 is a weather proof camera body, but weather sealed lenses to use
with it are quite a rarity in Sigma's Line-Up.

Further: If Sigma's New Fovenon Sensor Does Over Match Their Best Lenses, The
"Internet" Chatter Is Going To Eat Them Alive!
imagine statements like this flying around the net'o'sphere:

  "You'll be paying Sigma for the priveledge to wait for Lenses to use on it."

Look at the 'net storm Leica went thru with the M8! The feeding frenzy couldn't
have been worse if Leica had been making the insides out of kittens and the
outsides out of puppies! (Teensie bit hyperbolous, but more truthful than not,
so I'll leave it.)

Irregardless of a 46mp Fovenon Sensor having the effective resolving power of a
16mp Bayer Sensor - the reality is the Fovenon will be using a Single Stand
Alone Pixel to descibe EACH of the Color Channels. If A Lens is lacking in the
ability to delicately render details, in the ability to clearly differentiate
micro contrasts, or subtly manage strong tonal transitions: Whether it
"Matters" in real world photogrpahy - Any Yahoo with the ability to zoom to the
pixel level on their computer can "Prove" a lens is "Crap" and shout about it
world wide in minutes!

Sigma is facing some real landmines from a marketing perspective in my opinion.

I could be blazingly wrong about Sigma's lens lineup and whether a lot of them
will come up short on the new SD1.

I don't think I'm wrong about Sigma having a rep as a Cheaper and Good Enough
lens company.

R. In Mi.