[LRFlex] OT: Monaco OPTIX-XR

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:45:55 -0800

All:

Over the last couple of days, you've seen posts that showed me a bit critical of Monaco System's OPTIX-XR colour matching system for CRT's and LCD screens.

However, it's all a case of "all's well that ends well".

I was having trouble with a new 19" LCD screen. The text looked great but the photos were awful. Inconsistent from one scan to the next. So, I bought the Monaco OPTIX-XR, on the recommendation of my dealer.

But, the software wouldn't install! I went to their website but their knowledge base was a little short on the knowledge I needed.

I phoned them and after 40 minutes on the phone, waiting and talking to 3 different people, they came to the conclusion that they hadn't the faintest idea what was wrong! They'd have an 'expert' call me back, within the hour.

24 hours later, nobody had called. A second call, and it was the same story. I pointed out to the young lady that we'd already been down this path, to no avail. She checked my file, confirmed my story and the 'expert' called me back within 3 minutes!

He admitted they'd had a string of defective CD's, emailed me a URL for downloading a newer copy of the software and said he'd have the service people mail me a new CD. To my surprise, it was here at 3 PM this afternoon - overnight, international courier!

So, I'm happy with their service, even if we did get off to a rough start!

HOWEVER!

The difference that colour matching makes is unbelievable! Slides and negs scanned previously, that looked good on a screen set up with Adobe Gamma, now look pale and flat. And when these same shots were printed in the LHSA's Viewfinder, they did not look at all like the scans I'd sent. So much for setting colour levels by eye.

The new scans almost leap off the screen. Finally, I have something on my screen that shows the quality of Leica glass and the Nikon scanner!

If you are doing any digital darkroom stuff; and haven't used a calibrated screen, you've GOT to get one of these.. or something like it. They're expensive, but worth every penny!

Thanks to Bill & Neil, who tried to help.

Colour me happy!  :-)

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm