[LRFlex] Re: OT: Kyocera pulls plug on Contax

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:29:09 -0800

At 3/3/2005, you wrote:

It's finally official.  And sad.

Here's one of what is sure to be many obituaries:

<http://db.riskwaters.com/public/showPage.html?page=210204>http://db.riskwaters.com/public/showPage.html?page=210204

I sure hope Leica isn't next.

G'Mornin' Scott!

This is indeed, unsavory news. I still don't believe that film cameras will go away, entirely - except, possibly, in the p&s category. However, the question remains - who will be left; and at what prices?

Limited production runs will most likely not appeal to the Japanese, though Nikon's new F6 rather says otherwise. If Leica can hold on, they may yet survive as a leading player in a very small niche. We can hope!

However, it does eliminate Kyocera as a force to take over Leica's manufacturing, in order to lower costs. I guess that leaves Cosina, as going elsewhere would mean starting a new plant and training new recruits. That would take deeper pockets than I suspect Leica has. :(

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm