[LRflex] Re: Nikkors for Leica.... (was Friday blossom)

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 08:12:22 +0100

David wrote:

I knew the DDD story, or at least, most of it.  However, without reading the
article you referenced and then doing some further research, I'd never have
known about the  Tewe Polyfocus finders... of which, until today, I knew
nothing.

Glad your knowledge of the arcane and irrelevant has been extended.. :-)

Somewhere in my cupboard I have the Russian copy of the Contax turret multifinder. Optics are surprisingly good, and framing is reasonably accurate. From memory there were two versions, l/h and r/h, which optimised the position of the finder's accessory shoe for Leica or Contax.

Much better than the Leitz VIOOH multifinder system, as you get a magnified image at longer focal lengths.

Best.

Alex

 David wrote:

 Nice.  To heck with flowers ... I just wish our brown grass (now out
 from under the snow) would turn green!

 I can offer some nice brown bald patches on our otherwise green lawn...
 :-)

 Question:  What is a David Douglas Duncan 85 Nikkor, as opposed to any
 other 85 Nikkor?

 The 85mm LTM Nikkor is the Sonnar derivative which DDD discovered (via
 Jun Miki) during the Korean War period. The story's here:

 http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/history/

 Scroll about halfway down the page.

 As I said a great lens, but with a few minor drawbacks - as in the
 aperture scale disappearing underneath at certain distances. I also have
 the 50/2 LTM Nikkor, which
 is, if I remember aright, another Sonnar knock-off and an equally
 stellar performer.

 Both mount and focus fine on my M8 via Leitz bayonet adapters.

 Best.

 Alex

 David.

 Hi there - a real spring day at long last.

 http://tinyurl.com/po9qhmy

 M8 with the DDD 85 Nikkor at closest focusing distance. Wonderful
 lens.

 Best.

 Alex

 protection is active. http://www.avast.com