[LRflex] Newfoundland portfolio

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hello fellow reflexers;
Thanks to Miha, I finally got around to uploading some photographs at the LUG
Gallery.
These are a bit old but hopefully not stale. They are scans of B&W prints of
shots I had taken in rural Newfoundland when I lived there in 1970-71. In
October, '05, many of these appeared in a photo essay, under my name, in the
Canadian Geographic Magazine.

If I recall correctly, the shots were taken, almost exclusively with a Leitz
50mm f3.5 Elmar mounted either on a 3F or a M2. I also had a 35mm f2.5 Nikkor
but didn't seem to use it much. Ditto for a 90mm Elmar f4 which was a good lens
but prone to flare. I could trust the Elmar 50mm under any conditions.

At the time I was 23-24, just a kid running around with a camera. By some
miracle, most of the images seemed to have turned out, technically. i used a
beat up Soligor hand-held meter and metered off convenient objects (like my
hand) so that the values would fall into the correct zones.

Most images were taken on Panatomic X, some on Tri-X.

Dave Simms, Clearwater, BC